Wednesday 28 April 2010

Addictions

For those of you that have seen my facebook, I apologise because I promised I'd make a blog about a Baked Alaska. This blog's gonna be quite personal about me though, I hope you don't mind. So here it goes, I guess.

Recently my Mum has decided to try and give up smoking for a third time, she's been smoking since she was 13 so that's a very considerable amount of time spent smoking and for her to try giving up for a third time is a very brave thing, I feel. She's holding out well so far, it's been just over a week since she stopped completely and she seems very determined.
It's difficult to watch her do it though. I can see her bored and I know that she's craving, but there's nothing I can do. 'It's like a small, constant pain' is how she described it and it's heart wrenching to sit here and talk to my friends while I know that although she's downstairs watching Emmerdale, that pain is just poking away at her. Addictions are hard to break...and when smoking is so common it's going to be even harder to break. Did you know that it takes the average smoker 7 attempts to stop? That's 6 rounds of struggling and defeat before you finally manage it.
It's not all bad though, as much as it seems that way. Despite the bad things and the things that bother me (and more importantly that bother my Mum) the goal of this entire thing is a good and beneficial one. If she succeeds (which I very much hope she will) then not only will it be a fantastic achievment for her, but she'll reap the health benefits and some financial benefits.
My Mum is a strong woman and I'd want nothing more than for her to succeed at this because she does truly deserve it, but it's not going to be easy. I just hope that she knows that everyone's here for her and that we all wish the best for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment