Sunday 18 April 2010

Pancakes

A lovely treat that can be enjoyed as something savoury or sweet, pancakes are easy to prepare and cook. The beauty of this recipe, that I learnt from my Mum years ago now, is that you don’t even need weighing scales for it. All you need for the measurements is a mug, or cup of any kind, and the ability to count.

Difficulty: *

Pros:

Ingredients are easy to get

A versatile food

Cons:

They’re easy to burn!

Ingredients

1 Cup Flour

1 Cup Milk

1 Egg

Sweet pancakes: ½ Cup Sugar

For a more American style pancake use self-raising flour instead of plain.

NOTE: Where the list says ‘cup’ you can just use any mug you have at hand.

Method

1) Whisk the ingredients thoroughly to a liquid consistency.

2) On a medium to low heat, pour enough pancake batter into a hot, oiled frying pan to completely cover the base of the pan.

3) Allow the batter to cook until it has become solid and the bottom is a golden colour and then flip the pancake over to cook on the other side.

4) Once the pancake has cooked to a golden colour on the other side it is done and ready to be served.

NOTE: If using self raising flour, you will need to flip the pancakes when they begin to bubble on the top. This may be messy at first and you’ll have to flip them quick, but with practice you’ll find the right thickness to cook this kind of pancake at.

You can serve your pancake however you like with whatever you like, but I love to have mine very classically and simply with jam. Something that I found works well, to add a twist to your pancakes, is to add half teaspoon measures of mixed spice, ginger and nutmeg in with the flour. The flavour that this gives the pancakes reminds me so much of Christmas and I’m sure you’ll see why if you try it for yourselves!

Please comment and/or link to pictures of pancakes you’ve made yourselves, I'd absolutely love to see what you can come up with! Also, sorry for the shoddy presentation of mine, it didn’t turn out quite how I expected…

6 comments:

  1. Love the pancake part, but eurgh at the jam part :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Euww at the jam part too, Golden Syrup or sugar and lemon juice (y):-)

    Quick question, do you happen to know if I can use granulated sweetener in your recipes instead of sugar or do you think it will it taste strange?X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not used sweetner in anything else other than tea so I can't really comment on its use in baking. I've looked into it with my reliable friend google though and I've turned up this page:

    http://www.splenda.com/cooking-baking/granulated

    It basically says that for high sugar recipes (something like a cake or brownies) you should replace 25% of the sugar in a recipe with your sweetener because the sugar contributes to the texture and structure of the product and not just the taste.

    Considering that the sugar in *this* particular recipe is only flavour enhancing though, I think it'd be fine to replace the sugar completely. Let me know how it turns out! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks hon, I will try that and let you know how it goes!XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. American pancakes = sucky.
    I didn't even know there were different types.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well I know them as 'english' and 'american' but some people call the american kind scotch pancakes, fluffy pancakes, hot cakes or drop scones and the english kind as 'traditional' =P

    ReplyDelete