Sunday 25 April 2010

Fried Rice (Serves Two)


Well the results are in and you, the people, wanted to know how to make Fried Rice. I decided to make it one day on a random whim after reading about it in a 4 Ingredients Book. Originally I stuck to the recipe like treacle on a spoon, but the key to savoury cooking is to be original, creative and really make the recipe your own.

So although I’m giving you a full ingredients list, do feel free to alter it as and however you like. If you don’t have or don’t like carrots, then don’t use carrots. Peas, broccoli, sweetcorn, whatever you like can go into this rice to good effect.

Something I tried out that produced a particularly nice, slightly spicy, rice was adding ½ tsp of Cayenne Pepper, 1 tsp Chinese 5 Spice and ½ tsp of Paprika during frying. It was purely done on an experimental basis and I rarely use spices or herbs, but it turned out rather well!


Difficulty: **


Pros

The recipe is very easy going

You can use pretty much anything you want in it


Cons

The state of the rice can really affect the end product


Ingredients

185g (1 cup) Rice

1 Beaten Egg

2 Rashers of Bacon (or whatever meat or meat substitute you might prefer)

4 tbsp. Soy Sauce


For vegetables, I used:

2 Radishes
Brocolli
1 Carrot
1 Spring Onion
1 Small Onion
Cabbage

But remember that you can use any vegetables you like for this!


Method

1) Boil the rice in around half a litre (500ml) of water before draining it and setting it aside to dry.

NOTE: If the rice is wet when you come to frying then your fried rice may turn out wet also.


2) Slice up the bacon and fry it in a slightly oiled pan until it is pale in colour.

NOTE: If you’re using onions and/or mushrooms, fry them at this stage also.


3) Add the beaten egg to the pan and stir while you fry to evenly cook and distribute the egg.


4) At this point add any other vegetables you wish and continue frying until the egg and meat you’re using are cooked.


5) Add the rice along with the soy sauce. The soy sauce is what gives fried rice its distinctive colour!

NOTE: At this point add any herbs/spices you would like to.


6) Continue frying and stirring, evenly distributing the ingredients. Once this is done the rice is ready to be served!


TIP: Instead of boiling the rice yourself, an easy alternative would be to use an instant, microwavable pouch of rice. The result is still the same and depending on what kind you use then your ending product could have a whole new dimension to its flavour!


I hope you all try out this recipe, it’s great as a late night snack, as lunch or a side dish to a main meal and the results can be absolutely wonderful. If you’ve got any questions or you want to share pictures of what you’ve made, then you’re entirely welcome to do so and I will reply!

For my next blog I’ll be putting sugar cookies on hold to show you how to make a Baked Alaska really easily and then (because I’m baking a lot of buns for charity events and birthdays!) I’ll be showing you how to make buns as well as demonstrating some decorative techniques. I hope you all read it!

2 comments:

  1. I love fried rice and am looking forward to trying this. If I don't use a pouch of rice, is there any particular type I should buy as there are quite a few such as long grain, Basmati etc. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long Grain would probably suit the chinese theme more, but really I guess any rice you have at hand can be used. I know in the past I've made fried rice with pilau or savoury rice just because they were at hand.
    Just bear in mind that if you do buy a flavoured rice such as pilau that it will impact the final flavour of the product! :P

    ReplyDelete