Thursday 27 May 2010

Banoffee Pie (Serves up to 12)

Never before had I tried to make this until my Mum forced me to (I say 'forced' in the nicest possible way) but I've got to say that this pie (which isn't really a pie) is very simple to make and it tastes really nice. The reason I'm blogging today as opposed to procrastinating and posting later in the week is because I probably won't have time to post at any other date.
Tomorrow I have an exam ([sarcasm] yay me [/sarcasm]) and later on in the day I'm going to my friend's for a two night sleepover. It'll be me and three other friends just having a good laugh about doing god-knows-what until god-knows-when in the morning. So far we've got Buzz, Rock Band, a dance-off and dvds planned as well as the possibility of eating mentos and diet coke and seeing what happens (stomach pump on standby). It should be a fun night I reckon, but for now it's on with the recipe!

Difficulty: **

Pros: Not technical at all

Cons: Crushing biscuits can be messy!

Ingredients
125g Margerine
300g Digestives (crushed)
2 large bananas
1 tin of Caramel
1 tub of whipping/double cream
Optional: Grated chocolate
Method
1) Crush the digestive biscuits. There are a few ways to do this, but the way I prefer to do it is to use a rolling pin to pound and crush the digestives (a few at a time) in a large bowl.
Another way you may like to do it is to put the digestives in a towel, fold the towel over and then crush them with a rolling pin. This method does leave you with a crumby towel though.
2) Melt the butter in a pan and then pour it over the digestives, stirring until thoroughly incorporated.
3) Into a large dish (or a number of small dishes if you prefer) pour the mixture. Pat it down with a spoon or a fork and leave to set for an hour in the fridge.

NOTE: If you're lucky enough to have a food processor you can bypass steps 1 and 2 by just blending the ingredients together. The high speed of the processor allows the butter to incorporate despite not being melted.

4) In a bowl pour the caramel and soften it out before adding in 2 chopped bananas and stirring well.
NOTE: It's important to make sure the banana is covered by the caramel otherwise it will oxidse, turn brown and taste bad.
5) Whip the cream however you prefer before spreading it over the top of the caramel.
Optionals: 1) Refrigerate the whole thing before serving. 2) Sprinkle on some grated chocolate as I've done.
In other news I was very pleased today because I found the perfect angle and environment in my house to take decent looking pictures of food. So it seems for now the background/setting of my photos won't be changing, but I hope you'll forgive me because now you can properly see what's in the pictures! Ta-ta for now readers, hope you enjoy :P

No comments:

Post a Comment