Sunday 9 May 2010

Strawberry Cream Cakes (Serves 12)

I made these cakes for someone’s birthday and they went down quite well, I was glad to hear, and they turned out quite well. So I thought it was only more than appropriate that I share the recipe and my tips with you guys. Be warned, though, that although this recipe is easy to do it does take time.

Difficulty: **

Pros
Easy to make

Visually appealing

Cons

Takes time to make

Ingredients

For Buns

150g Margarine

150g Sugar

150g Self-Raising Flour

3 Eggs

Optional: 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence

For Decoration

150ml Double/Whipping Cream

300g Strawberries (ideally small strawberries)

2 tbsp Jam

1 tbsp Water

Method

For Buns

1) Soften the margarine in a bowl and then add the sugar before creaming them together.

2) Add the egg and the vanilla gradually, stirring in well.

3) Add the self-raising flour to the mixture and stir until smooth.

4) Pour into 12 bun cases in a bun tray and bake for 20 minutes at 180C until golden brown.

5) Allow to cool

For Decoration

1) Cut out a deep cavity from each bun

2) Whisk the cream until it is thick and fill each cavity with whipped cream.

3) Put 6 strawberries aside to use at the end and slice up the strawberries you have left.

4) Place the strawberries in a ring formation on top of the bun, ideally overlapping.

5) Slice the strawberries you set aside in half and put one half on top of the bun, cut-side down.

6) Melt the jam and water in a pan together until they form a kind of sauce.

7) Brush each of the buns with this sauce. It gives them a nice sheen when it dries, extra flavour and can help them keep for longer.


There are a lot of steps for decoration, but the ending product looks lovely in my opinion and you’ll feel very relieved when they’re all decorated and done. If any of you want to try this recipe for yourselves I really hope that you take pictures and post!

For my next recipe post I’ll be making 24 butterfly buns for a charity event that a friend is throwing. Since the bun recipe will be the same as the one I’ve used in this recipe, I’ll just be writing about the decorative steps and offering advice on those. I hope you all read it and have a nice week in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment