Wednesday 26 May 2010

Political GaGa Buns (serves 12)

The name is a bit confusing, I know, but bear with me and I'll explain it. In the last week of school me and my friends decided to have a mini-party at lunchtime and I decided to make some buns to say thank you to the teachers that had helped me over the past 5 years. So to do this I decided to make buns, cover the tops in buttercream (coloured red, blue, yellow and green) and, once that had dried, I piped on letters in white glacé icing so that the buns formed a word together.
The name that I gave these buns comes from two things:
1) The yellow buttercream turned out so yellow that it reminded me of Lady GaGa's hair (see the picture for comparison)
2) A friend of mine commented that I should offer a teacher interested in politics a choice between a red and blue bun (the colours of the Labour and Conservative parties) and see if she chooses the red bun. He then added that if she chose the red bun he would take the blue bun and proceed to eat it, proclaiming that 'this blue bun has really changed my life'. Of course, when it came to offering her a bun, I made sure that there were only green ones.
When it came to writing a title for this blog entry I thought it'd lack any creativity to just put 'Buttercream Buns' so I decided to be a bit original. Moving swiftly on from this slowly growing paragraph, here's how to make them!

Difficulty: ***

Pros:
The ending product is really quite nice.

Cons:
Colouring the buttercream can be a bit awkward

Ingredients
For the buttercream
75g Margerine
175g Icing sugar
Food colouring (you can choose whichever colours you like)

For the Glacé Icing
Icing Sugar
Water

Method
For the buttercream
1) Soften the margerine in a bowl before sieving the icing sugar in and stirring until soft. You may need to add a small amount of water.
NOTE: Sieving is very important otherwise the buttercream will contain icing sugar lumps
2) Divide the buttercream equally into as many bowls as colours you want (i.e. if you're making 3 colours, divide it into 3 bowls)
3) Add the food colouring a capful at a time to the buttercream until you get the colour you would like.
NOTE: Different colours will require different amounts, don't assume that because one colour requires a lot of colouring that every colour does. Otherwise you'll end up with GaGa buns like me!
4) You may need to add more sieved icing sugar to the ending buttercream to thicken the consistency.
5) Place about a tablespoon of buttercream onto each bun and smooth it out before leaving it to set in a cool place.

For the Glacé Icing
1) Sieve any amount of icing sugar into a bowl and make a small 'well' in the centre.
2) Add small amounts of water (about a teaspoon) at a time and mix well.
3) The consistency for piping, generally, should be thick enough so that if you run your finger along the back of the spoon the line of icing left behind should hold for at least a few seconds.
4) Pipe the glacé icing into whatever letters or images you like!

That's pretty much it. They're not tremendously difficult to make, though I should warn you that the food colouring does affect the taste slightly (though not in a negative way) depending on how much you add. The next thing I'll be making is a Banoffee Pie, purely because my Mum's asked me to make one. So I hope you all keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment